Doug Ford’s surprise minimum wage hike somehow angers both workers and restaurants — which warn higher prices are on the way

Doug Ford’s latest election ploy appears to have missed its mark.

Businesses and workers are angry about his surprise plan to raise the minimum wage in two months: businesses want more time to prepare while labour advocates say the bump in pay is hypocritical and years too late.

The Star reported Monday that Ontario Premier Doug Ford plans to raise the province’s minimum wage from $14.35 to $15 an hour starting Jan. 1, eliminate the liquor server wage, and tie an annual minimum wage increase to inflation each October. Other workers who are paid subminimum wages, such as students under 18, will also receive pay bumps Jan. 1.

Share

China urges families to store basic supplies in case of emergency

China’s government has urged families to stock up on essential supplies in case of emergencies.

No reason was given for the notice from the Ministry of Commerce, but it came amid ongoing coronavirus lockdowns and concerns over vegetable supplies after unusually heavy rain damaged crops.

The ministry also asked local authorities to keep supply chains running smoothly and prices stable.

State media later sought to quell concerns amid reports of panic buying.

Share

Ontario won’t mandate COVID-19 vaccines for hospital workers, Quebec drops mandate

COVID-19: Quebec drops vaccination mandate for health-care workers

Quebec is dropping its enforced COVID-19 vaccination mandate among health-care workers, government officials announced Wednesday.

After pushing back its deadline multiple times, Health Minister Christian Dubé said the province will abandon the measure altogether, as the health-care network can’t afford to lose the thousands of non-vaccinated workers.


Well this certainly makes a joke of it all.

Ontario won’t mandate COVID-19 vaccines for hospital workers, despite advice from science table

Premier Doug Ford says that his government will not make vaccination mandatory for hospital workers amid concerns about staffing shortages in the sector.

Ford made the announcement in a statement issued on Wednesday afternoon, effectively going against the advice of a number of experts, including members of the province’s own science table who had pushed for the mandate as an “evidence-based policy that protects Ontarians.”

Share

‘Rust’ armorer’s attorney suggests set possibly sabotaged by disgruntled crew member

Alec Baldwin’s fatal shooting of his cinematographer may have been the deadly result of a “disgruntled” crew member “sabotaging” the set, an attorney for the movie’s rookie armorer alleged Wednesday.

Hannah Gutierrez-Reed, 24, loaded the gun Baldwin used on the set of “Rust” from a box of ammo that should have been only dummy rounds, her attorney, Jason Bowles, told the “Today” show.

“We know there was a live round in a box of dummy rounds that shouldn’t have been there — at least one live round,” said Bowles, a former federal prosecutor.

Share

Iranian Oil Sales to China Skyrocket as Experts Say Biden Admin Turns Blind Eye to Sanctions Enforcement

Illicit Iranian oil sales to China have soared in recent months as the Biden administration attempts to reenter the 2015 nuclear accord, raising concerns from Iran experts that the United States is turning a blind eye to sanctions violations in a bid to entice Iran back to the bargaining table.

China imported nearly 800,000 barrels of Iranian crude per day on average during the last three months, almost double the amount it was illegally buying from Iran during the same period last year when the Trump administration was pressuring Iran with a crippling sanctions campaign. The increase comes amid an effort by China and Iran to boost diplomatic ties and force the Biden administration into removing sanctions on the Islamic Republic.

Share

Erin O’Toole claims Conservative MPs are united. But are grassroots supporters?

Erin O’Toole insists the Conservative caucus is united behind his leadership.

But can he be as confident about the party’s grassroots?

The reaction from a handful of third-party organizations, which represent swaths of the Conservative faithful, suggests the answer is likely a no.

“If they keep throwing their base under the bus, there’s not going to be anyone on the bus,” said Sheldon Clare, president and CEO of the National Firearms Association, adding that he remains a Conservative member for “right now.”

I suggest Conservatives look elsewhere for a political home and westerners should give serious consideration to separatist parties. The CPC braintrust will keep their leftward course. Another version of O’Toole is what to expect from any replacement so they may as well keep him as leader.

As for me? Won’t be O’Tooled again!

Share

China and the Crisis Presidency of Joe Biden

Less than a year in and Joe Biden’s presidency is beset by crises. Domestically, his increasingly unpopular agenda has been stalled by his own political party in Congress. On the international front, the Afghanistan withdrawal debacle continues to reverberate along with Europe’s growing frustration in dealing with the administration. Even on matters where we can agree, such as the submarine deal and our alliance with the Australia and the United Kingdom to counter China, the announcement was so badly handled it became just another friction point in U.S.-European relations. Then there is China itself. From the origins of COVID to its recent hypersonic missile test — an event the Pentagon’s top general Mark Milley concedes was a near “Sputnik moment” — and China’s ability to crush all US satellites as “debris,” the challenges between the U.S. and China only continue to grow.

Share

Carrie Bourassa’s suspension ‘bittersweet,’ says Métis professor who brought complaint to U of S

A Métis professor at the University of Saskatchewan who raised concerns about prominent academic Carrie Bourassa’s claims to Indigenous ancestry says the school’s recent decision to put Bourassa on leave is a step in the right direction.

Bourassa, a U of S professor and the scientific director of the Indigenous health arm of the Canadian Institutes of Health Research (CIHR), has been put on leave from both institutions after CBC’s investigation into her claims to Indigeneity sparked online outrage. The U of S also announced Monday that it had launched an investigation into Bourassa’s claims.

Women dominate the race-fakery field, look to this being spun as a result of their victimization by the patriarchy.

Share

Minneapolis REJECTS defund the police: Voters decide to keep their city police department and not replace it with a woke Department of Public Safety

Minneapolis voters on Tuesday rejected a proposal to replace the city’s police department with a new Department of Public Safety, an idea that supporters had hoped would bring radical change to policing in the city where George Floyd’s death under an officer’s knee brought calls for racial justice.

The initiative would have changed the city charter to remove a requirement that the city has to have a police department with a minimum number of officers. Supporters said a complete overhaul of policing was necessary to stop police violence.

Opponents said the proposal had no concrete plan for how to move forward and warned it would leave some communities already affected by violence more vulnerable as crime is on the rise.

Share

Military police investigate dozens of complaints of racism in the Canadian Army

Military police and civilian law enforcement have investigated up to 70 cases of alleged hateful conduct and racist attitudes within the Canadian Army since a crackdown began in September last year, CBC News has learned.

A briefing prepared for the army’s acting commander last winter and obtained under access to information legislation shows 115 cases were catalogued up until that time, with 57 of them being investigated by military authorities.

Figures updated to the end of August — and released to CBC News — show an additional 28 allegations. Of those, 13 were deemed serious enough to warrant a police investigation.

The goal seems to be to have the military investigated into a toxic waste dump of PC proprieties, unable to fight but certain of their pro-nouns.

Share

Alec Baldwin shares posts disputing reports of unsafe conditions on ‘Rust’ set

Alec Baldwin defended working conditions on the set of the Western flick “Rust” — sharing a crewmember’s social media posts ripping her co-workers for describing it as “chaotic and unsafe.”

The actor and producer — who fatally shot cinematographer Halnya Hutchins and wounded director Joel Souza — shared several screenshots of remarks by Terese Magpale Davis, who worked in the wardrobe department for the movie.

“Read this,” Baldwin, 63, wrote to introduce the multiple Instagram posts, all of which were screengrabs of Davis’ own social media posts.

Share

Ontario reports 378 new Covid cases .. and a booster in your future?

Ontario reports 378 new Covid cases .. and a booster in your future?

Ontario reports 378 new COVID-19 cases today, 5 more deaths

Ontario is reporting nearly 400 new COVID-19 cases today as the seven-day rolling average of daily infections once again increases week-over-week.

Provincial health officials logged 378 new cases today, up from 331 on Tuesday and 321 last Wednesday.


Ontario will unveil its plan for COVID-19 booster shots on Wednesday

Ontario will unveil its plan for more COVID-19 booster shots Wednesday, clearing the way for AstraZeneca recipients and others to get top-ups as the province continues efforts to get more first and second doses into arms.

The blueprint follows guidance to the provinces last week from the National Advisory Committee on Immunization, which recommended additional injections for groups of people “at increased risk of severe illness and highest risk of waning protection.”

Share